Motorcycle Insurance - Missouri and Kansas

Including: Joplin, Carthage, Webb City, Carl Junction, Diamond, Carterville and Neosho, MO as well as Galena, Baxter Springs, Columbus and Pittsburg, KS

Click to Begin Your Free Motorcycle Insurance Quote


For over 30+ years, Winnett Insurance has offered full-service motorcycle insurance throughout Missouri and Kansas. We can insure most drivers and their vehicle with tailored protection that always offers great value. Whatever coverage you need, we’re your source for professional solutions.

Call us at (417) 624-5724 or request your free, no obligation quote now!

What is motorcycle insurance?

The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) estimates that there are approximately 150,000 motorcycles registered in Missouri, along with roughly 96,000 in Kansas. It is critical that every biker has insurance behind them when they ride. If you invest in the right policy for your bike, it can help you pay for the cost of recovery following wrecks, property damage or injuries (both your own and others’).

Why do you need coverage?

Though they only make up a small portion of the total vehicles in each state (2.7% in Missouri and 3.6% in Kansas), motorcycles are just as valuable as the average car or truck, and even more risky to operate.

Stats like these clearly show why all bikers need motorcycle insurance. Rather than suffering thousands of dollars in recovery costs, let your policy help you pay, so that you can remain secure.

What does motorcycle insurance cover?

Motorcycle insurance is more specialized than the average auto policy. However, it can contain multiple types of familiar coverage:

  • Liability insurance: This coverage pays for damage you cause to other people (drivers, pedestrians) if a wreck is your fault. Bodily injury coverage can pay them for their injury costs while property damage coverage pays them for possessions damage, like vehicle damage.
  • Collision insurance: When you have a wreck, this coverage can pay for your bike’s repairs.
  • Comprehensive insurance: Damage to your bike from hazards other than collisions are covered under policy. Coverage might pay for damage from falling trees, fires or theft, for example.
  • Uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance: If another driver is at-fault for a wreck, but they don’t have liability insurance, this coverage can pay for your injuries and vehicle damage.
  • Medical payments: Coverage can pay for your injury costs and those of passengers.
  • Roadside assistance: Your insurer might be able to offer you various perks like towing, jump starts, gas delivery and courtesy rides at little to no out-of-pocket cost on services.

Your policy can also offer additional coverage that’s specific to the bike:

  • Contents insurance: Coverage pays for personal belongings you carry with you, such as tools, safety gear, mobile phones and saddle bags.
  • Accessory coverage: If you have made custom changes to your bike, like by adding chrome accessories or special paint work, this coverage can apply to damage to those items.
  • Mechanical breakdown coverage: This type of coverage acts like a warranty, and can pay for certain repairs to the bike following an accident.
  • Trailer insurance: If the bike has a trailer you can tow behind it, your policy can cover it.

Speak to your agent about the appropriate way to insure excess equipment with appropriate limits.

How much motorcycle insurance do I need?

Both Kansas and Missouri require bikers to carry at least liability and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage at the following limits:

  • $25,000 bodily injury liability coverage (per person)
  • $50,000 bodily injury liability coverage (per accident)
  • $25,000 property damage liability coverage
  • $25,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage (per person)
  • $50,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage (per accident)

Kansas also requires personal injury protection, also called PIP/No-Fault coverage. If you get hurt in a wreck, you will first file on your own PIP policy for your injury costs. You can only turn to another driver’s bodily injury liability coverage after you exhaust these limits. The required limits are:

  • $4,500 medical expenses coverage per person
  • $900 disability/loss of income coverage per month for one year
  • $25 for in-home services per day for one year
  • $2,000 for funeral, burial or cremation expenses
  • $4,500 rehabilitation expenses coverage
  • Up to $900 survivor benefits (disability, loss of income) per month for one year
  • Up to $25 in-home services for survivors per day for one year

Higher limits are available to offer more coverage. The amounts above are the minimum requirements for Missouri and Kansas. If you don’t have these limits, the authorities can penalize you for driving without the required insurance. You must carry proof of coverage with you when you ride.

Please note: If you finance or lease the bike, lenders might require comprehensive & collision coverage.

What happens if my passenger is injured in a bike accident?

In Missouri, the passenger can file against your medical payments insurance for their injury costs. They can also file on the other driver’s bodily injury liability coverage if that person is at-fault for the wreck.

Because of Kansas’ PIP coverage rules, passengers must file against the insured biker’s PIP policy first. If another driver is at-fault for the wreck, the passenger can only file against that person’s liability insurance once the PIP policy has paid to its limits.

Remember, neither bodily injury liability insurance nor PIP coverage are a substitute for health insurance. That policy will always pay for your medical bills first.

How do I get insurance for my motorcycle? What do I need to know?

It’s important to understand that you cannot insure a motorcycle under a standard car insurance policy. You have to buy specific motorcycle insurance.

Don’t hesitate to talk to your Winnett Insurance agent about the appropriate way to structure your coverage limits, deductibles and enhancements to always maximize the assistance available to you. We understand all the ins and outs of the motorcycle insurance industry, and can make sure you get the policy that always offers you the best protection at an affordable price.

Call us at (417) 624-5724 or request a quote now


Don't forget; we also offer Auto, SR-22, Boat and RV Insurance

Contact Us Today!
(417) 624-5724